Skip to main content

New birthday normal

This last weekend we learned what the new normal of birthdays could be.  For the girls, EVERY birthday they insisted on Build-A-Bear, and they’ve been talking about Liberty’s upcoming 9/11 birthday for a few months now.  I knew that we still needed to continue the tradition, but I struggled with how to make sure you and your memories were there with us, and then we had an idea.  How can they go on without remembering your voice?  I can’t tell you how many times a week I pull up videos or voicemails that you left me, just to hear your laugh.  We recorded your voice, from my phone and put them onto a soundbox so that anytime they hug their bears, they can hear you.

I struggle to put into words just how much they miss you.  Sometimes it’s so much it hurts, and I have to try and be the rock.  I am always consciously thinking through how to respond when they ask questions, when they say they miss you, when they say they wish you were here.  I tell them all the time how proud you are of them, and how much they meant to you.  I like to think that I was the person who meant the most to you, but I know I can never compete with Daddy’s girls.  You had plans to tattoo their names on you, you’d brag about how cool they were to anyone who would listen, and don’t get me started on your weekly manicures.  You were such a princess!  Just had to be in control of how they painted them and what rules they had to follow and make sure that I was available to be standing by to fix any mistakes.  For awhile, you only allowed one hand to be painted, leaving 2 fingers for each girl and I got the middle finger.  Somehow you’d explain that the reason why it was only one hand, was just in case you needed to hide your hand for any reason.  You felt more grownup and professional that way.  A dirty mechanic with a filthy mouth who is wrapped around his little girls’ fingers, was worried about keeping one hand “respectable.”  That didn’t last long, just as most things involving you and the word “NO” with the girls, it was just temporary.  They knew that you’d cave soon.  They almost always got their way with you.  It wasn’t long before they each had their own hand, and my job was just management.  You’d talk to the girls and tell them to let me teach them, and help them to be not so messy, and of course you were always concerned if they didn’t get enough coats of polish.  Again I remind you, that you were a filthy mechanic!  I don’t know that I’ve ever seen your hands clean in the entire time we’ve known each other, but you always needed your nails looking good.  You would post them on social media and make sure to show the gas station girls and anyone else who you came in contact with, their latest color choices.

Well we added a new birthday tradition today, the girls had their very first pedicure.  Can I just tell you that they were IMPRESSED!  They were so giddy from the moment we walked in.  They couldn’t even hide their excitement a little bit.  They loved all the colors, the scents and all the pampering tools that were used.  I knew they wouldn’t handle the scrubbing of their arches well, because anyone who has ever had a pedi knows that this is a very ticklish spot.  Hahaha they both lit up and giggled uncontrollably.  There was wiggling, and squealing, and believe it or not lots of splashing.  I threatened Libby that if she kept making such a mess, that I’d have to tip her lady all her birthday money to clean up after her.  She said the perfect Libby thing in the perfect Libby voice “uhhh Tiff, I don’t think I have enough money to clean up all this mess, can you loan me some?”  They asked if we could do Pedi’s every birthday and also made me promise to never go to get a pedicure without them.  They asked if this is what you were talking about when you called me a spoiled princess?  I said “of course.”  But taught them a new lesson to“treat yourself.”

Oh how I wish you were here!  It aches deep in my chest trying to imagine our future without you.  Our story was just beginning, and now it’s up to me to continue on without you.  We had so many plans, so many things that we were looking forward to, and nothing more rewarding than watching the kids grow up.  How do we go through the big things without you?  There’s no way you’ll approve of me teaching them to drive, and I will have to call in for help intimidating any boy who looks at our girls. I guess just with anything else in our lives right now, we will take it a day at a time.

I guess I still love you, even if you’re not here to listen to me say it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My New Normal

On August 10, 2019, my world as I knew it, was completely flipped upside down.  I lost my everything in one morning, but I’m getting ahead of myself.  Before I tell you what I lost, let me tell you what I had; My name is Tiffni, I’m 40 years old and my life was finally starting.  By “my life” I simply mean that my life was finally more than just me and my dogs.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m pretty fantastic and my dogs take after their mama, but I finally had what everyone half my age had, my own little family unit.  It was somewhat dysfunctional and 100% blended.  We are the kind of family that makes you wonder.  Many of our likes and activities, aren’t what you would think would be normal family fun.  We love all things creepy and spooky.  We eloped on Halloween, our kids wore their costumes, my ring has skulls on it and I wore black.  We make a habit of visiting a local haunted pizzeria to enjoy great food and great company, and also a night full of communicating with the ghosts.  Our

Lazy Sundays

Lazy Sundays were our favorite.  We used to sleep in, go to breakfast at Jims, come back and take a nap and catch up on tv.  No matter what it was, we were right there together.  You’d always tell me that you’d sleep better if I took a nap with you, and I always laughed at you and told you that I wasn’t tired.  I’d lay down anyway, and you’d curl up around me and you’d be snoring so fast it would make me laugh.  I’d close my eyes and I wasn’t far behind you.  I always slept better with you near me.  How I long for sleep.  Really good sleep, longer than 2 hours at a time sleep.  That hasn’t happened in months.  I lie to myself and those around me all the time telling them that I’m doing ok, when the reality is I just want to sleep.  I still sleep with the dimmed lights on and the tv on, because I can’t bare the quiet loneliness without you.  Sometimes you come to me in my dreams, and those are a crap shoot as to whether you help me sleep or I wake up in a panic attack.  I wear your shir

6 weeks later

It has now been 6 weeks, and although you are on our minds every single day, in some ways it still isn’t real.  I wish somehow, someway that I’ll wake up and it’s all been a horrible nightmare, but as I sit here tonight watching the girls as they gather every picture they have of you, I know it’s real. Some of my hardest days, are also my very best.  The girls have craft paper, glitter, stickers and pictures over the ENTIRE floor, and their fighting for the day has finally subsided.  I hear them so excited to show each other what pictures that they have found and how they are decorating their pages for each other.  I think this is the first 15 minutes all day, that they haven’t been arguing about the stupidest things.  They both make sure that they have pages of each other in their books and want to know every detail about the photos of you and I from our vacation.  They can’t wait until we get to go as a family to some of the places that you and I went to on our cruise last ye